Wednesday 6 October 2010

Faerie Cakes

Bolstered by the success of the Dragon Cakes (see previous post) my little mind began wandering around ideas for my next creation.
Quite taken with wings and glitter, and having successfully experimented with colouring the white chocolate cake covering a lovely dusky pink, I naturally made the leap from dragons to fairies (who wouldn't?). FYI food colouring gels work really well for colouring the chocolate without changing the consistency, texture, or taste. Just don't expect strong colours, you won't get them.
Once again I happened to have the perfect excuse to trial these - another birthday, this time of someone who liked pink. So the challenge was set...

After finding a convincing fairy-wing template (my creative skills may be good, but my artistic ones are somewhat lacking I'm ashamed to say) I set about piping as before - parchment paper over templates, pipe melted chocolate, into the fridge for 10 minutes to set.
The wings were a lot more fragile this time, possibly due to the added colouring gel & smaller size, but thankfully I made spares! Again, I coated them in silver lustre dust.
The cakes I made were just plain sponge, using the Victoria Sandwich recipe in muffin tins (bake for around 25 minutes at 170C).
I topped them with a plain white buttercream. Top tip - unsalted Lurpak is a very pale colour, so very useful for making light coloured icings!
A liberal sprinkling of 2 different shades of pink glitter, and ta-da!! Faerie Cakes!



No comments:

Post a Comment